We all know there’s nothing worse than going to sit down in the sun and you’re met with a dirty chair. With summer around the corner, you will want to make sure that your garden furniture is ready for any barbecues and outdoor events you might be hosting. If your garden furniture is in need of a little TLC, read on for our top cleaning tips!
How do I clean my outdoor furniture?
Washing your garden furniture is actually fairly simple. With a little bit of effort and elbow grease, you can turn your furniture from drab to fab pretty quickly!
You will need:
- Washing up liquid
- A bucket
- A cleaning spray that is suitable for the material of your furniture
- A brush
- Some microfibre cloths
- Start by removing any cushions or fabric from your furniture – we will tackle how to clean those in a little bit.
- If you have a garden hose, begin by hosing down all of your furniture. Make sure the nozzle is set so that the water pressure is powerful enough to loosen any stubborn dirt that may have built up over time. If you do not own a hose, simply pour buckets of water over the furniture.
- Next, mix ½ a cup of washing up liquid into a large bucket of warm water.
- Dip a clean microfibre cloth into the water mixture and wipe down your furniture. You may get through a couple of cloths depending on how dirty your furniture is.
- If you have a few tough stains that are difficult to remove with a cloth, dip a bristled brush into the water mixture and gently scrub. If your furniture is made of wood, be sure to follow the grain when using a brush!
- Rinse away any leftover bubbles with a bucket of clean warm water or use your garden hose, and then leave the furniture to air dry.
- If the washing up liquid and water mixture wasn’t strong enough to remove all of the dirt, consider buying a specialised product that is safe to use on your type of outdoor furniture.
How do I clean cushions?
You’ll be pleased to know that most cushion covers can be machine washed, however do check the label just in case!
You will need:
- Washing detergent
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer/washing line
- Firstly remove your cushions from the cushion covers. Give them a good shake and plump and leave them to air out in a clean and dry area.
- Secondly, check the labels of the cushion covers to make sure if they can be machine washed and at what temperature.
- Pop your cushion covers into the machine and add your detergent of choice. It’s always better to go for a lighter detergent if you’re not too sure about what to use.
- Wash your cushion covers on a cold delicate cycle, unless the label says otherwise.
- Finally, if you have a dryer, pop the cushions in on a low heat. If not, air dry them on the washing line. With the sun shining, they will be dry in no time!
What can I do to prevent my furniture getting so dirty?
Prevention is better than cure in this case!
- We recommend giving your garden furniture a good deep clean at the start of summer, and at the end. This means when you come to clean your outdoor set up the following summer, the task won’t take as long!
- Try to cover your furniture when you are not using it. Either place it in an outhouse or consider purchasing a plastic cover for it. This will offer some protection and slow the process of dirt, rust and grime building up.
- Finally, bring your cushions in at night – especially during the winter months. Cushions are much more susceptible to mold, so by keeping them inside it helps to protect them.