Moving can be an exhausting experience for anyone, but with our top moving hacks, it should make the whole process a lot less stressful. When it comes to moving it’s all about being organised, so these simple steps will make a guaranteed difference.
Before you jump straight into packing, it’s a good idea to deal with any admin tasks. One good task to get on top of, so you can tick it off your to-do list early on, is to call your utility companies to let them know you’re moving. Doing this early on will ensure you don’t forget to do it later and will help you start off on the right foot.
Another good thing to plan is your meals on the lead-up to your move-out date. Try and eat up everything in your fridge before you move, which means meticulously planning when you do your last food shop. You don’t want to be in a situation where you’re having to transport food that requires a refrigerator.
Have a clear out
Getting rid of any unwanted clothes and furniture before you move, will make the whole experience much easier. Whether you bin, recycle or donate unwanted goods it’s much better than lugging them with you to your new home.
- Do a closet purge – if you’re really struggling to get rid of old items of clothing, consider using the six-month rule. Ask yourself if you’ve either worn this item in the last six months or will wear it in the next six months. If the answer is no, it’s time to say goodbye. Check out our blog article on how to declutter your closet for more helpful tips.
- Donate to charity – any clothes or furniture that you no longer want or need, consider donating them to charity rather than binning. If you have any bigger items to be donated like wardrobes or sofas, organise a pick up date ahead of your move out date.
- Sell items – If you want to make a bit of extra cash to spend on your new home, have you thought about selling your unwanted items online? There are so many great websites such as Gum Tree and Facebook Marketplace where you can market your unwanted items. Not only will it take them off your hands so you don’t have to move them to your new home and it’ll earn a pretty penny as well!
Stick labels on everything! This will save you so much time when you’re unpacking. Also, don’t just label your boxes, label any bags of screws, parts to your furniture, and electrical leads. This will mean when you set up your furniture and electrical appliances in your new home you know exactly where they are.
Be smart with your packing
At the time it might feel easier to just throw everything into boxes and deal with it when you unpack, but spending a little time to pack in an organised and smart way will help you out massively in the long run!
- Keep clothes in your drawers – If you’re not dismantling your chest of drawers, leave your clothes in there and secure the drawers with plastic wrap.
- Use pots to hold smaller items – Instead of using multiple boxes to carry your kitchen items, fill up large pots with spices, cutlery and small kitchen gadgets. This will save you lots of space.
- Make use of your suitcases – Use your suitcases to pack anything which isn’t easily transported in boxes. Also place anything heavier in there, as the wheels on the suitcase will make it easier to transport.
Find a reliable, 5 star cleaner
Rather than doing the dreaded end of tenancy clean yourself, or spending hours trying to find a reliable cleaner, use Helpling instead! Using Helpling, you can find yourself a trusted five-star cleaner in sixty seconds. All the cleaners on our platform are liability-insured and set their own hourly rates so you can find the perfect cleaner for your budget. To get started all you need to do is pop in your postcode into the search bar, and Helpling will instantly find you the best freelance cleaners in your area.